- Tuesday, 02 May 2017
The 2017 focus for National Heart Week is the importance of diagnosing and treating high blood pressure.
Quick Facts: Hypertension in Australia
- Hypertension is when blood pressure is persistently higher than normal
- 6 million adult Australians have hypertension
- High blood pressure can be a silent killer because there are no obvious signs or symptoms
- Uncontrolled high blood pressure can lead to a heart attack, stroke or kidney disease
- More than two in five adult Australians or 2.65 million have hypertension that in unmanaged
- Adults in regional/rural areas have a 26% higher rate of hypertension compare to city dwellers
- Residents living in metro areas are more likely to have hypertension that is unmanaged
- The rate of hypertension in Indigenous Australians is 16% higher than non-Indigenous Australians
The Heart Foundation has free resource packs available with further information about hypertension.
For further information, please visit https://www.heartfoundation.org.au/campaigns/heartweek
Heart Foundation Helpline 1300 36 27 87